Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Educational Perspective

Education is a powerful gift. It is a gift to both the learner and the teacher. For the learner or student, education is a means to learn about the individual, the family, and the community. Reaching out further, knowledge can be gained about city, state and country. Expanding more, one can learn about the world and the universe. Students take this knowledge and become responsible members of society. They are able to go out into the world and make a living, take care of their families and contribute to their communities. Furthermore, they can find solutions to problems such as how to cure diseases or how to build a livable environment on a faraway planet.

On the other hand, teachers experience the educational gift through the passing of knowledge. By engaging he student in the academic process, teachers can influence future generations and ensure their legacy. I know I'll never forget Mrs. Fitzpatrick and how she made learning fun through the use of stories and games. Now, when I try to teach something to my daughter, I think think of Mrs. Fitzpatrick and try to find a creative and fun way to teach Anamaria. Mrs. Fitzpatrick's style was so helpful because the hands-on learning experience is really the way I learn best. Anything that is creative works for me. It keeps my attention.

This is part of the reason why I believe that there should be an evaluation of a student's personal learning style. That way, a student can be put into the environment where they would learn the best and be like an absorbent sponge. Students would then feel more empowered and be more successful in class instead of feeling inadequate compared to their contemporary who is better suited for a particular learning style.

What greater gift could there be?

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful that you recognize both the student's learning and that of the teacher. I agree that it is a means of bettering the world around us. I also agree that each student should be evaluated for their personal learning style. If we could place every student in a setting that is right for them, maybe more people would pursue some type of post-secondary education. I can call to mind times when I myself have felt inadequate compared to my peers because the teacher's style of teaching was not conducive to the way I learn best.

    ReplyDelete