Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Drown Me in the Crooked River!

Drown me in the Crooked River, please! I am having the hardest time following this story. It seems that the writer jumps around too much, not only in the thoughts but in the points of view as well. However, when he first starts to describe David’s and Anne’s first meeting at Kelly’s Island, he does seem to be taking his ADD meds. That’s really the first part of the book where I was able to read more than four pages at a time. My guess is that I shouldn’t have read the plethora of reviews at the beginning of the book before I started reading. The hype set me up for a letdown. Fortunately, I see a good story under the bad writing and think I can cross this river without the drowning. (Let’s hope!)

1 comment:

  1. I understand your frustration with Crooked River Burning. I don't think it is a bad book, I just think that it does not "suck you in", the way Color Me Butterfly did. I think the story is more of an ode to Cleveland when the city was great, and tied into that is a love story. So don't drown, put on a life jacket, because we are almost done with it!!!

    ReplyDelete